Everything you need to know about studying in Australia!
Australia is home to 7 Universities ranking among the top 100 in the world according to the latest QS ranking, in addition to which the country ranks among the highest in quality of education, student satisfaction and global reputation. The Australian education system offers a wide variety of options for its students with at least three Australian universities ranking among the top 50 in the fields of Arts and Humanities, Engineering and Technology, life Sciences, Natural Sciences and medicine and Social sciences and Management.
In a nutshell Australia offers a world class education and many opportunities for a bright future!
So what exactly do you need to Apply for a Student Visa?
1. Entry Requirements
English Language requirements: The Australian Government requires proof of English Language skills to ensure that each international student can understand the course content. The level of skill required will vary depending on the course that you have applied for.
2. Academic Requirements
Once again this depends on the level of course you want to study in Australia.
General Academic requirements for entry:
- English language courses: Entry requirements vary between institutions, and according to the level of English language skills required for the course.
- Schools: Entry requirements vary between schools, depending on the state or territory. Academic performance and ability is considered during the application process.
- Vocational education and training (VET): In most cases, there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may require you to have studied specific subjects or completed work experience.
- Higher education undergraduate courses: You will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12) or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific prerequisite subjects.
- Higher education postgraduate course: You must have completed at least one degree at undergraduate level. The institution may also consider your research ability or relevant work experience.
3. Visa Requirements
- Receive an Electronic Confirmation Enrollment: This is a confirmation email sent by the University/ institution you have applied to, in order to start your visa process, you need to have a valid acceptance into an Australian Education Institution.
- Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement : This is a documents showing that you are entering Australia temporarily to gain a quality education, making such a submission does not prevent you from being able to apply for Permanent Residency after your qualification is completed.
- Prove you have sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
- English Language proficiency.
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Provide evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover: As an International student you are required to have a health cover which will assist you in meeting the cost of hospital and medical care while you’re in Australia.
What happens when you are granted a Visa to study in Australia?
You will be permitted to enter the country from 90 days prior to the commencement of your course. generally, accommodation is booked through the school that the application is made to, if that is not the case you are required to inform the institution of your accommodation within 7 days of arriving there.
Work rules for international students: you can work for up to 20 hours per week while in school is in session on a valid Student Visa. There is also no limitation on the number of hours you can work during periods of school vacation.
There is more! family members (spouses and children) accompanying international students under their visa have the same work rights as a student, however family members are not allowed to exceed their work hour limitation of 20 hours during school vacation.
While working during your stay in Australia is a great way to supplement your finances, it is important to adhere to the restrictions placed on international students because failure to do so could end in the termination of your Visa.
What are your options upon completing your education in Australia?
Option 01: most students decide to stay on and complete further studies in Australia.
You will be required to:
- Lodge an application for a new Student Visa through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection before your current visa expires
- Make sure you have enough money to continue paying for your studies and living expenses
- Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover.
- Apply for your chosen course by the deadline.
Option 02: Extend your stay in Australia.
You can apply for a variety of temporary Visas in Australia in order to extend your stay after the completion of your education.
Option 03: Apply for Permanent Residency.
There are a few pathways available to international students. The right one for you will be determined by several factors such as the qualification you have obtained, your English language ability, employment history and any other requirements by the Australian Government.
We hope this article has helped you iron out some of the doubts you had in your mind! to get assistance in getting your education started in Australia get in touch with us today!